BraZouky is committed to the safe, comfortable and inclusive enjoyment of dance for all; regardless of dance skill level, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body, race, religion, or any other characteristic or trait. Everyone participating in our events is expected to abide by our rules and guidelines, and demonstrate respect for all participants.
Dance floor safety:
- Always invite and NEVER force your partner into a movement beyond their current experience, skill or fitness level; or otherwise outside of their comfort zone.
- Never lead a beginner dancer, or lead yourself as a beginner dancer into head movements/frango assado/tilted turns, and be careful with moves such as planks, cambres, counter balances or any non-vertical moves. These moves can easily cause injury.
- Respect your dance partner’s boundaries, both stated and implied. If your partner asks you not to do something, either verbally or physically, don’t do it.
- Please use your full range of senses on the dance floor to avoid collisions and injuries. On crowded dance floors, we advise against leading or following any non-vertical head movement.
Dance floor respect:
- If someone says no to a dance, respect their answer and try not to take it personally. There are many reasons to say no to a dance, that are no reflection on you.
- While close hold is for many an enjoyable part of Brazilian Zouk, it is not necessary for a fun, connected and beautiful dance. Carefully gauge your partner’s comfort level with body contact, and NEVER force someone to dance closer than their preference.
- Do not give your partner unsolicited suggestions for improvement while on the social floor. This can be disheartening in a space intended to celebrate and enjoy the dance.
- Harassment will not be tolerated. Harassment includes (but is not limited to) inappropriate comments, verbal abuse, intimidation, bullying, stalking, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption, unwanted physical contact, and unwanted sexual attention.
If anyone is observed or reported engaging in harassing or unsafe behaviour, BraZouky staff will take any action we deem appropriate. Anyone asked to stop harassing or unsafe behaviour is expected to comply immediately. Continued harassing or unsafe behaviour may result in expulsion from the event, and potentially referral to the police.
If you ever feel uncomfortable, unsafe, marginalised, disrespected, or treated unfairly in our workshops or socials, please find a BraZouky staff member. We can provide you with support, confidentiality, take measures to rectify the situation, and help you file a report if you wish.
Dance floor safety in the time of COVID-19
Lockdowns and risk of disease transmission over the past few years require a set of additional habits and considerations to keep each other safe and minimise the risk of spread. BraZouky will comply with Victorian Government directives and any additional requirements of the venue. By participating in BraZouky, you agree to comply with the plan by consenting to and abiding by the following measures:
- Do not attend BraZouky if you are feeling unwell on the days of the event, or have any cold or flu symptoms (e.g. cough, sore throat, fever). You will be eligible for a refund if you test positive to COVID-19, please contact BraZouky staff to discuss as soon as possible. This may be a partial refund if the event is already underway.
- Numbers may be restricted on each dancefloor to comply with statutory density limits. These will be actively monitored and enforced. Barriers may be in place to support the number restrictions. Please respect the number limits, and do not seek to circumvent barriers.
- Mask-wearing will be according to the DHHS directives at the time. Masks may be mandatory, recommended, or optional. We will advise at the opening of the event.
- In the event of a participant being diagnosed with COVID-19 in the 14 days following the event, we will be providing any requested data to DHHS to assist with contact tracing. This is likely to include your name and contact details.
Please visit our COVIDSafe Information for more information.